As a medical professional, you are likely accustomed to dealing with stressful patient situations on a daily basis. But facing the stress of an allegation made against you for professional wrongdoing is likely to be a totally different type of stressful experience. Let Fenton Green Medical help to take the worry out of your claim notification by ensuring you have the right support, provided by qualified medico-legal claims experts.
What makes the Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) claims approach different?
- BHSI strive for simplicity over complexity. No committees. No complex internal workings or boards. They employ committed claims specialists and empower them so that they can work with you to achieve strong results.
- BHSI understands that your professional reputation is important. We encourage you to contact BHSI early so that they can guide you and minimise the impact on your reputation and day-to-day practice.
- BHSI are results focused with cost effective claims management. Litigation and complaints are stressful for medical practitioners. BHSI strive to move you through the claim or complaint quickly and strategically. Where a claim is for defence, BHSI will work with you so that you understand the process every step of the way.
- BHSI encourages honest and open communication. Relationships are important to BHSI. And to Fenton Green Medical.
- BHSI offer medico-legal advisory services when you need them 24/7.
- BHSI are highly responsive to a changing healthcare environment.
- BHSI partner with brokers such as Fenton Green Medical, solicitors and experts that share our values.
When should I notify?
Without question, it is of critical importance that any claim or complaint be notified as soon as you become aware of the incident so that BHSI can help you to minimise the impact on your reputation and day-to-day practice. We at Fenton Green Medical and BHSI understand that your professional reputation is paramount. If you have a concern, it is never too early to notify.
What should I notify?
Contact BHSI if any of the following occurs -
- Service of court documents, especially a statement of claim or summons;
- Receipt of a complaint from AHPRA, Medical Council or Board, Healthcare Complaints Commission or the like;
- Complaints from a patient either verbally or in writing;
- Deaths that have been reported to the Coroner and where you have been closely involved in the care of the deceased patient;
- Request from police seeking documents or a statement;
- Receipt of correspondence from Medicare regarding provider numbers, item usage or audits;
- Receipt of correspondence from a private health insurer querying charges, notifying of an audit or advising of a change in provider status;
- Receipt of a request for medical records, whether from a patient, a third party or a subpoena;
- A solicitor contacts you requesting a report or meeting about your medical management of their client; or
- Comments on social or print media that you consider could be defamatory.
Given the nature of medical practice, it can be difficult to determine which circumstances to notify. Incidents that may develop into a complaint or claim in time should also be notified to BHSI within the relevant policy period. It is not however necessary to notify every adverse incident.
As a guide, we suggest that you notify the following types of events -
- Birth defects that were not anticipated;
- Catastrophic outcomes including brain damage and paraplegia;
- Unexpected outcomes, particularly where the patient or their family may make a complaint;
- Loss or impairment of the senses;
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis which has resulted in a reduced lifespan of the patient;
- Significant disfigurement or loss of limb.
If you are unsure whether to notify of an incident or if you would like to discuss your situation before speaking to BHSI, please contact Fenton Green Medical on 03 8625 3333.
The Medical Indemnity product distributed by Glenowar Pty Ltd T/as Fenton Green Medical (ABN 14 074 776 631; AFS Licence No. 247258) via Tego Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 34 608 505 960; AFS Licence No. 482467) is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (ABN 84 600 643 034; AFS Licence No. 466713). Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company is authorised by the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority as a general insurer in Australia. The information provided here is only a summary of the coverage available and should not be relied upon in any way. Please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for full terms and conditions and to ensure the cover meets your needs. This information is accurate as at June 2017.